Home → Practice Area Overview


Whether you need immigration services, or it is your loved one, facing the immigration process can be difficult and frustrating. The law surrounding it is complicated and ever-changing, and the choices made during the initial process can have lifelong effect. You need the help of Garfinkel Immigration Law: we offer the experience and care that will put your mind at ease.


The firm handles many types of immigration services, such as:

  • Family Immigration: Marriage Based Immigration
    • Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1, CR1);
    • Spouse of a U.S. Citizen awaiting approval of an I-130 immigrant petition (K-3);
    • Fiancé(e) to marry U.S. Citizen & live in U.S. (K-1);
  • Family: Other Family Members – including the following categories –
    • Of U.S. Citizens –
      • Unmarried sons and daughters over 21 (F1);
      • Married sons and daughters over the age of 21; (F3) and
      • Siblings – brothers and sisters (F4)
    • Of Lawful Permanent Residents –
      • Spouses and children under 21 (F2A); and
      • Unmarried sons and daughters (F2B)
  • Temporary Visas (called nonimmigrant petitions) – Including:
    • Employment (work based): Speciality occupations (H1B);
    • Employment (work based): Intracompany transferees (L1);
    • Student and Cultural Exchange (F-1) and (J-1);
    • Visitor Visas – temporary visitors for business or pleasure; and more
  • Permanent Employment (work based) Visas – Including –
    • First Priority, including Priority Workers (E1) such as Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding professors and researchers, and Multinational Managers and Executives;
    • Second Priority, Professionals with Advanced Degrees and Persons of Exceptional Ability (E2) with labor certification or National Interest Waiver;
    • Third Priority, including the following categories –
      • Skilled workers are persons whose jobs require a minimum of 2 years training or work experience that are not temporary or seasonal;
      • Professionals are members of the professions whose jobs require at least a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. university or college or its foreign equivalent degree;
      • Unskilled workers (Other workers) are persons capable of filling positions that require less than two years training or experience that are not temporary or seasonal; and
    • Fourth Priority, Special Immigrant Visas for International Organizations such as the World Bank and IMF, Juveniles, and Religious Workers.
  • Humanitarian Protections –
    • Asylum, Withholding, and CAT, including affirmative and defensive asylum cases, Protection Under the Convention Against Torture (“CAT”), and Withholding of Removal based on fear of harm due to your membership in the following groups:
      • Race
      • Religion
      • Political opinion
      • Nationality
      • Social Group
    • Temporary Protected Status – affirmatively, in immigration court, and DACA; and
    • Violence Against Women immigration benefits – either as a petition with USCIS or as cancellation of removal in removal proceedings (immigration court)
  • Waivers of inadmissibility – including but not limited to:
    • Criminal Related grounds;
    • Misrepresentation or Fraud;
    • Provisional (unlawful presence);
    • Removal/deportation,
    • Family Unity, National Interest, and more

At Garfinkel Immigration Law, we have experience in not just these areas, but a comprehensive range of immigration law services. We use these experiences, as well as the skills we have honed over the years, to create strategic plans for our clients. We work to not only solve your immediate need, but do it in such a way that you do not have to worry that an issue will arise years from now.


Whether your issue is complicated or seems straightforward, you need to speak with an attorney. Seemingly-simple immigration issues can quickly spiral into something much larger. Our team is ready to help you and your family with your immigration law needs. Call our Bethesda office at 202-851-7648, or send us an online message, and we will arrange a time to talk about your situation.